Halloween is almost here! On October 31st many trick or
treaters will be going door to door to collect their goodies. While
children anticipate a fun-filled time, we should all remember to practice
safety on this night.
Here are ten safety tips from the Canada Safety
1. Children should be accompanied by an adult.
2. Children should wear clothing that can easily be seen
at night. Retro- reflective materials are best.
3. Children should trick or treat in one well-known area
and not wander into unknown neighbourhoods.
4. All candy should be inspected by an adult to make
sure that no one has tampered with it. If it looks suspicious, the police
should be contacted.
5. Children should avoid stray animals.
6. Children should wear masks that do not interfere with
vision. Better yet, they can avoid masks by wearing makeup.
7. Children should watch for moving vehicles when
8. Costumes should be short enough that the child will
9. Trick or treaters should dress appropriately for the
weather and carry a flashlight.
10. For extra safety, organize a Halloween party for
children in your neighbourhood.
Information on the history of Halloween, customs, costume ideas and more
Instructions for carving jack-o-lanterns
Have a safe and happy Halloween!