Summer is a time for salads and salsas. When it is hot, you don't want to be spending a lot of time in the kitchen cooking. Plus, you want to eat foods that are light and refreshing. Fresh ingredients from the garden like tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, onions, and cilantro are healthy choices and great for making a quick salad or salsa. Combine these with a barbecued chicken or fish, and you'll have a delicious meal. For some easy summer recipes, read these "how to" paragraphs below. Not only will you have a satisfying supper, but also you'll see how easy it is to write a process paragraph.
A Waldorf Salad
A Waldorf salad is easy to make. First, chop 2 red apples, a cup of walnuts, and a cup of celery. Second, mix them together in a bowl. Third, add a cup of raisins, a cup of yoghurt, 2 tablespoons of honey and 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice. Fourth, carefully stir all the ingredients together. Finally, this delicious, healthy salad is ready to eat. If you share this tasty, quick salad with your friends and family, they will thank you.
1. What is the topic sentence? A Waldorf salad is easy to make.
2. How many detail sentences are there? There are five detail sentences.
3. What kind of sentences are the detail sentences? They are imperative sentences or commands. Most of these sentences have action verbs like chop, mix, add, and stir after the time order words because this is a process (how-to paragraph).
4. What are the time order words? The time order words are first, second, third, fourth, and finally.
5. What is the closing sentence? If you share this tasty, quick salad with your friends and family, they will thank you.
Mango salsa takes some time to prepare, but it is worth it for this flavorful, light appetizer. First, wash and finely chop all of these ingredients: one seeded green, yellow and jalapeno pepper, two ripe mangoes, six firm Roma tomatoes, one red onion, and one cup of cilantro. Next, mix all of these ingredients in a medium sized glass bowl. Then, squeeze two limes and lemons over the mixture and stir. Finally, let the salsa sit in the fridge for a few hours before serving it with tortilla chips. Your guests will be delighted with this refreshing treat.
1. What is the topic sentence? Mango salsa takes some time to prepare, but it is worth it for this flavorful, light appetizer.
2. How many supporting detail sentences are there? There are four supporting detail sentences.
3. What is the closing sentence? Your guests will be delighted with this refreshing treat.
4. What are the time order words? The time order words are first, next, then and finally.
5. What are the two adjectives in the topic sentence? The two adjectives in the topic sentence are flavorful and light.
Rick's Feature: A Great Day (Samples of Four Kinds of Body Paragraphs)
(August 20, 2009)
(Includes all 2002 to date Weekly Features with descriptions)